I love Russian dolls! It was only a matter of time until I made my own stuffed version. I’ve provided the pattern for the basic shape below so that you can make your own Russian doll family. I made my set using felt, patterned fabrics and a sewing machine. I sewed the facial features on by hand.
It’s really up to you whether or not you would like them to all match, or if you would like them to be all different like how I made mine. You can also alter the size of the doll by shrinking or enlarging the pattern. I’m no pattern maker, so I hope the instructions I provided are clear.
- First, I cut the body out of the patterned fabric, folded it in half and sewed the matching sides together. You’ll have a little pocket once you turn it right-side out.
- I left the top opened for stuffing, but before that, I inserted a small rectangular piece of cardboard into the bottom of the pocket. This will act as a base for the doll and will allow it to stand upright on its own. I tucked the fabric at the corners in to give it a finished look.
- Next I stuffed the pocket and sewed it closed.
- I cut the head out of felt and sewed the matching sides together. Turn right-side out and place on top of the stuffed shape we made out of the patterned fabric. I stitched the pieces together by hand.
- Your doll is almost done! Decorate the face however you like. I used black beads for the eyes and felt for the cheeks and hair. I used a stray button for the knot in the scarf.
Download the pattern below to make your own Russian doll family!